Installing Exchange 2010 SP1 (Beta)

I just finished upgrading my demo lab Exchange 2010 server to SP1. The process was very straight forward, as you would expect, but there are a few things you should know:

  1. At time of writing, Microsoft has not yet posted release notes. They made an announcement a while back on some features, but otherwise the install is a bit of a leap of faith!
  2. There are schema extensions required for the upgrade. The installer addresses them for you, but you’ll need to be a Schema Admin. Remember, Schema updates are a one-way task and it would be a bad idea to update your production schema while the SP is still a beta.
  3. You’ll need to install hotfix KB981002 on your Exchange servers prior to SP1 installation.

Remember ever since Exchange 2007, service packs are slipstreamed into the Exchange install only. Therefore the same file to update Exchange 2010 RTM would also be used to do a fresh Exchange 2010 SP1 (beta) installation.

Other Stuff I noticed:

  • More Outlook Anywhere authentication options
  • More phone and voice controls in the ECP
  • Retention Policy tabs in EMC
  • Assign Roles to users in EMC
  • More Move-Request logs in EMC
  • “Reset Virtual Directory” tool in EMC
  • UM tools in the EMC Toolbox
  • More flexibility with Archive Mailboxes (described in announcement above)
  • UPDATE: The complete list:


Some Pictures:


(Yes it took that long to install!)


(Note both SP1 and RTM version numbers)


(Copyright date updated on OWA login page)


(Themes in OWA!)

13 thoughts on “Installing Exchange 2010 SP1 (Beta)

  1. Kristof, it looks like you’ve removed your comment, but that’s ok! I have been slowly reading the help file for SP1 and noticed that there is indeed a change with how to import/export mailboxes with SP1. The functionality is not gone, nor recently introduced, but it has changed. Instead of an Export-Mailbox or Import-Mailbox command, you now make “requests” like you would for a mailbox move. More here:

  2. Pingback: Exchange 2007 SP3 adds Windows Server 2008 R2 support
  3. Pingback: Exchange 2010 SP1 posts from around the web in June.. « Steve Goodman's Tech Blog
  4. Hi All,

    I have created one lab environment for Exchange 2010 SP1 Beta. I have created two win2k8 R2 machine one for AD and one for Exchange 2010 SP1 Beta. I installed Exchange 2010 SP1 Beta successuflly without any error, I have installed all updates but when I try to open EMC it generates one error i.e.

    Initialization failed

    The following error occurred when getting user information for ‘PROSEWARE\administrator’:

    The operation couldn’t be performed because object ‘s-1-5-21-1064173257-1655566588-983151537-500’ couldn’t ge found on ‘’. It was running command ‘Get-LogonUSer’.

    Could you please provide some tips / suggestions to resolve this issue. My both machines are able to ping each other with IP and machine name.

    I have created as domain.
    Machine names are

    Kamal K. Paliwal

  5. Pingback: Exchange 2010 SP1 RTM « Mike Crowley's Whiteboard
  6. I think now it’s official: The EMC-Error is caused by duplicated SIDs… 😦

    The way I recoverd my Exchange-VM:
    – Shutdown Exchange-Services
    – Copy the entire Database-Folder to a temporary location (or use the virtual data-disk for the new VM)
    – Shutdown Exchange-VM
    – Install new VM or import a template and change the SID with sysprep (!!)
    – Remove old server account from AD
    – Rename the new VM with the old name and join the domain
    – Add the server account to the AD-group “Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Exchange Install Domain Servers” (to avoid MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY-server startup error)
    – Copy the Exchange-database to the same driver/folder
    – Run “Setup /m:RecoverServer /InstallWindowsComponents” from Exchange 2010 SP1 Folder

  7. I installed SP1 in 3 virtual environments. I got the “Get-LogonUser”-Error only in one installation. After a few hours of investigation i noticed that the Exchange Server and the DC of this installation have the same SID. Maybe I’ve forgotten to run sysprep to change the SID. I’ll try to shutdown the virtual server and reinstall a new one with same name and IP and run the Exchange 2010-Setup with /m:RecoverServer Parameter.

    Please check the SID of the servers with the PsGetSid-Utilitiy and post the results. Maybe this could be the “resolution” of the problem for many users.

  8. Pingback: andrew12

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s