I try to avoid reposting other people’s blog articles, as I am a man of efficiency and do not appreciate the extra clutter on the internet. However sometimes I cannot resist!
In a previous post, I claimed Microsoft’s Network Monitor was my favorite protocol analyzer. Recently I learned about a site with several instructional videos on this product; which is good, because using a protocol analyzer is anything but intuitive!
Apparently some of the videos date back to the ancient times of 2008, but there are fresh ones included as well:
- Network Monitor Overview
- Introduction to Capturing with Network Monitor
- Introduction to Capturing Traffic using the command line utility NMCap
- Tour of the NM3 Capture Tab
- Tour of the NM3 Start Page and Parsers Tab
- Introduction to basic filtering with NM3
- Using the conversation tree with NM3
- Introduction to using reassembly with NM3
- Plugfest Intro To Network Monitor 3.3
- Network Monitor Automation/Scripting using PowerShell
To view them, check out this site:
Netmon is being retired and the new tool is called the Microsoft Message Analyzer. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649776.aspx