Script for Missing UPNs

For various reasons I’ve found myself needing to fix customer sites where the User Principal Name (UPN) was not present for AD user accounts.

image

Most frequently this is because the environment was once NT4, which did not require this attribute.  Whatever the reason, I’ve fixed it using PowerShell.

If you don’t have 2008 R2 domain controllers you can use the free Quest PowerShell add-ins downloaded here.

If you DO have 2008 R2 domain controllers you can use the native Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell.

Below is a script you can use for either scenario.  This will take all users with missing UPNs from the “My Users” OU in the “contoso.local” domain and set their UPN to username@contoso.local

Quest:

Get-QADUser –SearchRoot “contoso.local/My Users” -UserPrincipalName $null -SizeLimit 0 | % {$CompleteUPN = $_.samaccountname +"@contoso.local"; Set-QADUser -Id $_.DN -UserPrincipalName $CompleteUPN}

2008 R2 Native:

Get-ADUser  -Filter {-not (UserPrincipalName -like '*')} -SearchBase 'OU=My Users,DC=contoso,DC=local' | % {$CompleteUPN = $_.SamAccountName + "@contoso.local" ; Set-ADUser -Identity $_.DistinguishedName -UserPrincipalName $CompleteUPN}